One of the programmes on my manifesto as a Presidential Aspirant is the resuscitation of Nigerian Airways in a Public-Private-Partnership fashion , wherein the Federal Government owns 45% shares and the remaining 55% sold as public equity.

The latest news that the out-going administration of President Muhammadu Buhari has made good to toe this line, with the FG owning 5% stake in the new arrangement gladdens my soul and for now, soothens the deep daily scars of frustration and despondency that Nigerians are now meant to characteristically live with.

I congratulate President Buhari for making this audacious move, which is long overdue. even though the arrangement is yet to order any aircraft and no office building, ticketing counter or hanger is yet in place, as we look forward to December 2018 for the take-off of a project whose contractual terms appear yet opaque!

I’m persuaded that in the coming days, many more “jokers” will be pulled from the ice pack by the PMB’s 2019 re-election team in a bid to woo electorates and generate goodwill for the President’s second-term ambition in the manner of June 12 declaration as Nigeria’s Democracy Day and the conferment of posthumous honours on MKO Abiola and Chief Gani Fawehinmi.

If PMB had hit the ground running since he was sworn into office as the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria on May 29th 2015, Nigerians would not be wailing today

In deed, if he had mandated his team to think outside the box for the betterment of the nation and willing to implement the content of such altruistic, innovative recommendations, Nigerians would have unanimously begged him to run for a second term!

Are the goodies that ought to characterise the entire life span of this administration selectively hoarded for the last lap, to be packaged as campaign appetizers for undiscerning electorates?

If he had embarked on programmes that largely benefit the masses and reflected equity and justice in his dealings ab initio, many of the young and not-so-young persons who today are running to take over his job would have been on his praise-singing team, campaigning vigorously for his re-election.

So, once again, I congratulate Baba for this move and look forward to more last minute “game-changing” jokers as 2019 draws near.

And by the way, if Baba had implemented as much as half of the programmes I earlier sent to him, I and I bet several others, would have had no reason to so vie today

If he had garnered the will to toe as much as fractions of the line therein, this first term would have been a near Eldorado, his second term bid would have been a walk over and he would have gone down as the greatest President Nigeria , if not Africa, ever produced!

But then, is it too late to yet do the right thing? Is there a wrong time to do a right thing?

Even if Baba suddenly starts doing the “right things” now, would Nigerians trust his motives? Would the common man not see it as a Greek gift meant to moisten the arid soil of 2019?

Dr Thomas-Wilson Ikubese is the Convener of YesWeFit Revolutionary Movement and Presidential Aspirant, Alliance for New Nigeria (ANN).

Kindly Share This:

2 thoughts on “NIGERIA AIR; OF JOKERS AND INTRIGUES By Thomas-Wilson Ikubese

  • July 19, 2018 at 9:46 am

    bunch of nuisances… You think commercial aviation is meant for politically diminutive people? it wouldve been better if he doesn’t touch it… this dossier is by far larger than what he can handle

  • July 19, 2018 at 11:53 am

    The CHANGE Mantra was not designed as a “100 meters dash”. Or as a Quick Fix. As you may have seen, government, in its inimitable style, have focused on abandoned projects. This is a very unusual step in our country. Government is a continuum. In the past this philosophy was an aberration. The Nigeria Air we are celebrating today is not by accident. It s a deliberate step by the Buhari Administration to revive and introduce measures that can revive our economy and make Nigerians proud and sustainable. These are well-thought out measures. Not panic measures. Not politically motivated. The APC government under the able leadership of PMB deserves encouragement(if people are too timid to praise). It’s an unusual govement and not a government of change for nothing.

Comments are closed.

Nigerian Cable News