Why I Allowed Buhari To Take Over Power From Me – Jonathan Opens Up

The immediate past Nigeria’s President Goodluck Jonathan has stated the reason why he peacefully relinquished political power to President Muhammadu Buhari in the last 2015 General election.

Dr. Goodluck Jonathan became a popular and appraised globally for his political maturity after conceding defeat as a returning President to Buhari even before the aggregate result was not announced by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.

In a show of goodwill, Jonathan put a call to through to the President Buhari to congratulate him.

Delivering his paper titled “Conscience Based Leadership: The Secret to Global Peace and Security,” as a guest speaker at the ongoing World Peace Summit in Malaysia, Jonathan emphasized that his decision was primarily fuelled by his conscience to allow peace reign and not facilitate bloodshed.

“Since you specifically invited me to share my experience as a political leader and ex-president with the forum, I will, therefore, like to mention some of the things I did in office, to build a peaceful society.
“I can confidently say that in all my public life, I was inspired to lead by conscience. This is in agreement with my personal philosophy which I first proclaimed while running for the office of the governor of my home state Bayelsa in 2006, and re-echoed when I ran for the office of the President of Nigeria in 2011 and 2015.

“Then, I made it clear that my political ambition is not worth the blood of anybody. Ever since I said that in November of 2006 in Yenagoa, capital of Bayelsa state, I have always lived by it. This philosophy informed my 12 decision to concede the 2015 Presidential election, even while the results were still being collated”, he mentioned.

Kindly Share This:

7 thoughts on “Why I Allowed Buhari To Take Over Power From Me – Jonathan Opens Up

• September 8, 2017 at 9:15 pm

Good

• September 9, 2017 at 7:26 am

This is what leadership should entail and not the seat tight syndrome known with the self acclaimed progressives

• September 9, 2017 at 9:20 am

Thanks Jonathan, but you left a big load of rotten rubbish that chocked the nation. We are yet to recover from the economic damage visited on us by the vandals you planted all over the place while you were in power.

Infact many souls have been lost as a result of the serious economic damage caused by your government.

I personally believe you are over celebrating this your ‘conceding defeat’ to President Muhammad Buhari, reason being that you were actually soundly beaten by the incorruptible Muhammad Buhari, you therefore could not have had any other option than accepting your being thoroughly beaten in an election security forces have now discovered Mrs. Dieziani Alison Madueke plundered the nation’s resources to rig for you.

Sensible Nigerians are still celebrating your exit and the coming of President Muhammad Buhari, who has been exposing and prosecuting the vandals you planted all over our Nation.

Please on your way from Malaysia, stop over in London and bring back Mrs. Dieziani Alison Madueke, the crowned queen of Nigeria Vandals, Nigerians want to plant a crown of thorn on her head.

• September 10, 2017 at 5:31 am

This comment is not fair to Jonathan. It was as if he has been ruling since Nigerian’s independence. Secondly ,this abnormal fixation on Dieziani by this government beats every sensible observer ‘s imagination. Even Your Messiah can not be absolved of the economic damage visited on Nigeria by lack of imagination and nepotism. Jonathan fought a good fight and God will reward him.Nigeria is in the hands of change and they will not be successful because they refuse to look ahead. They are vindictive, uninspiring,unimaginative and full of nepotism. No government achieves anything with those qualifications. They need to change to bring a time of refreshing on the nation. Simple!!!

• September 9, 2017 at 11:04 pm

God will reward president Jonathan for that gesture .

• September 10, 2017 at 10:11 am

Mr Jonathan is a man worthy of emulation
      Buhari and his cohort should try and achieve at least a single thing that Nigerian will see and applaud
      Stop pushing Blame
      International community is watching us
      No need to hide under unprotected lies

• September 10, 2017 at 9:54 pm

Former President Goodluck Jonathan would remain one of the respected leader in Africa and recognized by entire world for not throwing Nigeria into anarchy during the last presidential election election
    Whatever that might have gone wrong in his administration, he would be forgiven.

Comments are closed.